baslinux - Re: [BL] compiling later gcc for BL

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] compiling later gcc for BL
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 05:57:04 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 8 Jan 2006, David Moberg wrote:
Could I somehow copy over the FreeDOS already in use with dosemu?

Can dosemu format arbitrary files? If so, you can use that to make
a bootdisk image.

What do you mean by 'arbitrary files'?

I mean, can you set it up with a floppy disk image as a virtual drive
'A' and then (in dosemu) use format A:? I think that you can, but I
don't remember how you do this. I will check the manual.

I have formatted A: with dosemu.

Why is the bootdisk image 10MB?

It includes the kitchen sink.

Why call it a 'bootdisk' when it needs 6 disks?

We only needed to download 1.457MB to install FreeDOS without linux.
Is this the bootdisk image?

Yes. You can use this with bochs.

I may download and compile bochs in a couple of weeks, out of curiosity.
I think you said it only work on VGA in X.

DOSemu works in text mode or X, and on my TTL monitor in a system with TTL
and VGA. But not in framebuffer text mode. Or upper ascii. And VDE Ctrl
plus arrow keys does not work, or Ctrl plus K (?) for Find, and a few
other Ctrl combinations that all work in straight DOS.

There is a new unstable dosemu. Maybe it works with more DOS features?

I will read about it. They don't seem very interested in text mode, considering how long nobody bothered to fix a few nonworking keys.
Seems to be mostly for games.

If I get the Matrox card to work, can I use fbset to toggle framebuffer mode
off?

No.

DOSemu is not going to be very useful if I switch all my computers to framebuffer mode. Instead of rebooting out of framebuffer mode to use DOSemu, I may as well reboot into DOS.

David