baslinux - Re: [BL] /lib/cpp error compiling in BL2 with libc-2.2.5 upgrade

  • From: David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] /lib/cpp error compiling in BL2 with libc-2.2.5 upgrade
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 15:50:51 -0800

On 1/3/06, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

> >> What normally makes this link?
> >
> > Usually, the doinst.sh script that comes with the package.
> egcs? I did not reinstall that, just glibc and linuxinc.

Many packages containing cpp will not make this link for you.

> > You should be able to compile it. Maybe there is a configuration file that
> > you can edit to build the shared library?
>
> I will try to find one. The shared libraries were built by default for
> libjpeg and libpng. I think for zlib there was a 'configure' (Not at
> that computer now).

Try ./configure --help. Look for an option such as 'enable-shared'.
Or look through zlib's README or INSTALL files.

> To switch compilers do I need gcc-2.95.3 and gcc-g++-2.95.3? Anything
> else from SW81?

I don't think so. You do not need gcc-g++-2.95.3 unless you plan to
compile C++ programs.

> What do you mean by development libraries?

Look in slakware/d1 or slackware/d. Those are development library
packages. Instead of compiling everything from source, you can use
these. For example, get jpeg6.tgz to build something that needs
libjpeg.

> I am not compiling for stock BL2 but for upgraded to glibc 2.2.5, which is
> what I needed for Opera or precompiled xpdf or precompiled curl and
> openssl.

OK. So you might want to use SW81 development libraries for tiff, png,
etc. unless you want this netpbm binary package to work with SW71
libs.

David