baslinux - Re: [BL] /lib/cpp error compiling in BL2 with libc-2.2.5 upgrade

  • From: David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] /lib/cpp error compiling in BL2 with libc-2.2.5 upgrade
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 09:50:41 -0800

sindi keesan wrote:
> libtiff ./configure says:
> /lib/cpp fails sanity check
>
> I don't have any /lib/cpp nor does SW71 MANIFEST.gz.
> Does this mean I am missing a package, that is not found in SW71?

It probably wants you to link /usr/bin/cpp (which you should
have, provided that gcc is installed) to /lib/cpp.

Just execute:
ln -sf /usr/bin/cpp /lib/cpp

> I presume cpp is c++, which is related to g++ (gnu c++).

Actually, it is the C PreProcessor, but it is used for C, C++,
and Objective-C. A good C tutorial will tell you how it works.

> SW71 also has gcc 2.95.2, which has a g++ bug, so I am not using it.
> Does egcs have the same bug?

Maybe not, but it probably has other bugs. Most modern source
code requires gcc-2.95.3.

> SW81 has a gcc 2.95.3 and a separate gcc-g++-2.95.3
> Should I use these instead?

Yes. Or at least keep them on a CD in case you need them.

> libpng and libjpeg compiled properly
>
> zlib did not
> make test (as instructed in the README or INSTALL)
> exited with an error message:
>
> In file included from /usr/include/bits/posix1_lim.h:126,
> from /usr/include/limits.h:144,
> from
> /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-slackware-linux/egcs-2.91.66/include/limits.h:117
> (two more lines like this)
> from crc32.c:36
> /usr/include/bits/local_lim.h:36 linux/limits.h. No such file or
> directory.
> make: *** [crc32.o] Error 1
>
> Three .h files appear to be looking for a linux/limits.h to which I may
> not have a pointer. I have several files named limits.h including
> /usr/src/linux-2.2.16/include/linux/limits.h
>
> Did I mess up a symlink to the linux/limits.h that it can't find?
> (I can't have messed up two badly since libpng and libjpeg did compile).
> I just reinstalled linuxinc.tgz which did not help. Also glibc-2.2.5.

First, make a backup of /usr/include (if you mess up the links,
you will end up with a dead compiler). Then remove
/usr/include/linux:

rm -rf /usr/include/linux

Now set up a new symlink:

ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.2.16/include/linux /usr/include/linux

It should now stop complaining about limits.h. Hopefully, there
will be no more error messages. If there are any, please post
them here.

> David, which compiler did you use for BL3 netpbm?

gcc 2.95.3. It is the minimum recommended version for building
Linux 2.4, MPlayer, and several other packages.

If you eventually want to compile netpbm on BL3, remember that
you need to use 'make -k' instead of 'make'. You will get tons
of error messages, but some of the netpbm programs will still
build.

You need to do this because many of the netpbm programs will not
compile with libc5. But some of them will, so 'make -k' will
try to compile everything, instead of stopping when it
encounters an error.

If a program (that you can't live without) fails to compile, you
can use uClibc or glibc and statically compile, or copy glibc
from BL2, or try to edit the source code so that it will compile
with libc5.

David