baslinux - Re: [BL] Non-windows computer does BL3

  • From: David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Non-windows computer does BL3
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 07:21:48 -0700

On 8/15/05, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> I tried to install Win98.
>
> cd win98
> setup
> Enter (to continue):
>
> 'Your program caused a divide overflow.'

I got this message when I had left the "Virus Protection" option in
the BIOS on. You should check and see if there is such an option
and, if so, disable it.

> What might be causing this problem when Windows starts to check the system
> hardware and/or software?

I think that the Windows setup disk has a small bug in it which only shows
up with certain BIOS settings.

> So I booted 2-floppy BL3 which works fine even in X, and then showed him
> Abiword in BL3 on my computer and he saved the same file as .doc and .rtf
> (they both came out as rtf format - has anyone else tried to save as WORD
> .doc?)

I haven't seen this. Did he select the .doc format, instead of just typing
a Word filename? I don't think Abiword will save based on file extension.
Instead, you must select the desired format from a list box in the Save
As... dialog.

> Why would linux work perfectly on a computer where Win98 crashes while
> checking the hardware? It would not even warm reboot. We tried numerous
> times, powering off, waiting, powering on..... On several other computers
> Windows works okay but linux has assorted problems.

These are two very different pieces of software. Due to the complexity of
each, different pieces of hardware will react differently with each operating
system.

David