baslinux - Re: [BL] Non-windows computer does BL3

  • From: Samual Acorn <sam.acorn AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Non-windows computer does BL3
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 02:02:28 -0600

gotta love the 'doze....
is video ram emulated by system ram? (the setup program could be
overflowing into it)
did you do a surface scan of the HDD?
did you run memtest86?

IIRC compaq (at least old ones) systems dont have a built-in cmos
setup... check the compaq site for a setup utility for that model (it
will/should install itself in the boot sector of the HDD.... no lilo
for you... and make sure you boot from said HDD before installing the
'doze so it wont overwrite the utility) might try CTRL-ALT-ESC and
CTRL-F10 too... (if it does have a builtin cmos setup)

btw, date and time shouldnt mess with the 'doze setup but you can set
them with the dos 'date' and 'time' utils... dont need to get into the
bios for that...

reseat the ram chip might not be a bad idea.... might want to give the
mobo and ramchips a bath while you have it apart as well if there is
any 'stickyness' in it... a toothbrush and dish liquid work well...
(remove any/all batteries)... make sure its thouroughly rinsed and dry
with a hairdryer (better than letting it sit for a month) ... that
is.. of course... if you want to take it that far ;) (yes... ive done
this..)

more than likely you dont want to go that far tho... but when you
remove the ramchip to reseat it.. clean its connector with a paper
towel/windex to make sure good contact is made...