baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: Interrupts and isapnp

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: Interrupts and isapnp
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 04:05:45 +0000 (UTC)

Are there OCR type programs that can automatically convert a
musical score into an uninterpreted midi file? You might want as many as
four channels for each violin part.

Not really sure what you are asking.

I looked under 'music ocr' as suggested by David and found for Windows:
Sharpeye, Music Publisher, Midiscan, Photoscore, etc., which convert a scanned image of a music score (tiff or bmp) to a file that you can edit with their editor to correct errors, then prints and/or convert to a playable MIDI file.

While poking around I also found some examples of the sort of output you can get if you are not too careful at:
www.virtualsheetmusic.com.
$37/year gets you unlimited downloads of classical and/or Christmas music for various instruments, and a vote in deciding what to add to the site.

Uncorrected errors included jagged instead of straight lines in music where four 8th notes were connected by a line connecting equal-length stems (sloping), and in another piece where 16th notes were connected by horizontal double lines, these were frequently turned into wide single lines. Sometimes they were a bit of both.

This is a really cheap and convenient way to get copies of lots of music, but it is not as readable as it might be without much editing. But at this price you can't expect people to take a lot of time editing.

If you don't pay the $37, you can download for pay, for instance $6 for the Bach 3-part inventions. This might be cheaper than paper.

I may try my new midi players on the pieces at this site.

FWIW: I use a graphical (Win3.1) program to "write" musical notation onto a screen staff, with a mouse. I write each instrument part separately. I specify the instrument voices. I edit volume levels for each channel (instrument part) in total or one bar at a time. The work is saved as a MIDI file.

I don't think there is any way to convert plain, paper, sheet music to a MIDI, except by transcribing it.

These Windows programs all claim to convert sheet music to MIDI files but suggest editing first. The more expensive ones also print the edited copy, or read in pdf files. What I downloaded was both midi and pdf output, so presumably they print via pdf.

I could not find any linux music ocr programs, but I did find GOCR, a free linux OCR program also available as a DOS binary or a Fedora Core 2 source code or binary.

On the other hand, it is possible to convert between MIDI, GIF, abc, .ps and PDF if that is of any use.

It is now possible to convert scanned text to pdf OR midi.
Regards,
Ron

Is there any linux music publishing software? I have a couple of rather old programs for DOS.