baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: Interrupts and isapnp

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: Interrupts and isapnp
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 15:34:01 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> So I ran pnpdump > /etc/isapnp.conf
> which told me a lot of things about interrupts, and I probably need to
> edit the file (see below).

Did you try the suggested -rc options with pnpdump? Those options will
do most of the work for you.

> isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf
> Board 1 has Identity 15 00 01.... CTL0045 Serial No 85877 [checksum 15]
>
> Here is isapnp.conf produced by pnpdump. It is enough to scare me
> off pnp cards for a few years, but I think I have to uncomment some
> things. Please help!!!!!

Please try the -rc options. I still am unable to make a good isapnp.conf
on my own, but the options will automatically create a working config
file for you.

> # $Id: pnpdump.c,v 1.21 1999/12/09 22:28:33 fox Exp $
> # Release isapnptools-1.21 (library isapnptools-1.21)

You may need a newer isapnptools. I'm not sure if 1.21 supports
the -rc options.

> # (DEBUG)
> (READPORT 0x0273)
> (ISOLATE PRESERVE)
> (IDENTIFY *)
> (VERBOSITY 2)
> (CONFLICT (IO FATAL)(IRQ FATAL)(DMA FATAL)(MEM FATAL)) # or WARNING
>
> !!!!!!What am I supposed to do about this CONFLICT line?

Nothing. It just tells isapnp to give an error if there is an IRQ, IO,
DMA or memory conflict.

> Is this
> what is causing the card not to initialize in DOS as AWE32?

No. This is isapnptools-specific.

> It
> works in DOS with io 220 mpu 330 irq5 dma 1 dma16 5, except for
> AWE. But the following sections suggest that I should perhaps set
> to mpu 300 and dma 0 not 330 and 1, to avoid conflicts? It came
> set to something like mpu 300 irq 10 dma 3 and 5 (or maybe 1 and 7).
>
> In DOS I had to disable the game port to avoid some conflict (io I think).
>
> # Card 1: (serial identifier 15 00 01 4f 75 45 00 8c 0e)
> # Vendor Id CTL0045, Serial Number 85877, checksum 0x15.
> # Version 1.0, Vendor version 1.0
> # ANSI string -->Creative SB AWE32 PnP<--
> #
> # Logical device id CTL0031
> # Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x38
> # Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x39
> # Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3d
> #
> # Edit the entries below to uncomment out the configuration required.
> # Note that only the first value of any range is given, this may be
> changed if required
> # Don't forget to uncomment the activate (ACT Y) when happy
>
> (CONFIGURE CTL0045/85877 (LD 0
> # ANSI string -->Audio<--
>
> # Multiple choice time, choose one only !
>
> # Start dependent functions: priority preferred
> # IRQ 5.
> Do I uncomment this line?

No. It is merely a comment. isapnp commands look like LISP code,
with all of those parentheses.

> # High true, edge sensitive interrupt (by default)
> # (INT 0 (IRQ 5 (MODE +E)))

This line should be uncommented.

> # First DMA channel 1.
> # 8 bit DMA only
> # Logical device is not a bus master
> # DMA may execute in count by byte mode
> # DMA may not execute in count by word mode
> # DMA channel speed in compatible mode
> # (DMA 0 (CHANNEL 1))
> And this line?

That's a command. Uncomment.

> # Next DMA channel 5.
> # 16 bit DMA only
> # Logical device is not a bus master
> # DMA may not execute in count by byte mode
> # DMA may execute in count by word mode
> # DMA channel speed in compatible mode
> # (DMA 1 (CHANNEL 5))
> And this line?

Ditto.

> # Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
> # Minimum IO base address 0x0220
> # Maximum IO base address 0x0220
> # IO base alignment 1 bytes
> # Number of IO addresses required: 16
> # (IO 0 (SIZE 16) (BASE 0x0220))
> And this line for io?

Yup.

> # Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
> # Minimum IO base address 0x0330
> # Maximum IO base address 0x0330
> # IO base alignment 1 bytes
> # Number of IO addresses required: 2
> # (IO 1 (SIZE 2) (BASE 0x0330))
> And this line (for mpu io) even if I don't have a midi device?

Not strictly necessary, but a good idea, anyway.

> # Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
> # Minimum IO base address 0x0388
> # Maximum IO base address 0x0388
> # IO base alignment 1 bytes
> # Number of IO addresses required: 4
> # (IO 2 (SIZE 4) (BASE 0x0388))
> Is this for FM synthesis and do I need it for AWE?

Yes and no, respectively.

> It looks like the following might be causing the AWE function to share
> the interrupts and DMA of the regular part of the card - so I also
> uncomment the parts with ( here?

This is another set of IRQ, IO and DMA addresses. You're supposed to
pick one set. So you can leave these commented.

> # Start dependent functions: priority acceptable
> # IRQ 5, 7 or 10.
> # High true, edge sensitive interrupt (by default)
> # (INT 0 (IRQ 5 (MODE +E)))
> # First DMA channel 0, 1 or 3.
> # 8 bit DMA only
> # Logical device is not a bus master
> # DMA may execute in count by byte mode
> # DMA may not execute in count by word mode
> # DMA channel speed in compatible mode
>
> I set the card to DMA 1 - should it be 0 instead?

Doesn't matter, as long as isapnp thinks that there is no
conflict.

> # (DMA 0 (CHANNEL 0))
> # Next DMA channel 5, 6 or 7.
> # 16 bit DMA only
> # Logical device is not a bus master
> # DMA may not execute in count by byte mode
> # DMA may execute in count by word mode
> # DMA channel speed in compatible mode
> # (DMA 1 (CHANNEL 5))
> # Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
> # Minimum IO base address 0x0220
> # Maximum IO base address 0x0280
> # IO base alignment 32 bytes
> # Number of IO addresses required: 16
> # (IO 0 (SIZE 16) (BASE 0x0220))
> # Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
> # Minimum IO base address 0x0300
> # Maximum IO base address 0x0330
> # IO base alignment 48 bytes
> # Number of IO addresses required: 2
>
> I have changed this card to MPU 0x330 from 0x300 - should I change it
> back to 300 instead? Or change something else in ctpnp.cfg?

Just choose one address. isapnp will override any other settings if
it is a true PnP card.

> # (IO 1 (SIZE 2) (BASE 0x0300))
> # Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
> # Minimum IO base address 0x0388
> # Maximum IO base address 0x0388
> # IO base alignment 1 bytes
> # Number of IO addresses required: 4
> # (IO 2 (SIZE 4) (BASE 0x0388))
>
> This looks like a repeat of the above - what do I do with it?

Leave it alone if you don't want it at this address.

> I am supposed to uncomment the following line when happy.
> I am not happy about this conf file - it is very confusing.
>
> Can I comment out this wavetable section? I think it is a 'waveblaster'
> card that plugs into this card, which I do not have.
> Or is this the AWE part?

I think this is AWE. Better leave it in.

> (CONFIGURE CTL0045/85877 (LD 2
> # ANSI string -->WaveTable<--
>
> # Multiple choice time, choose one only !
>
> # Start dependent functions: priority preferred
> # Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
> # Minimum IO base address 0x0620
> # Maximum IO base address 0x0620
> # IO base alignment 1 bytes
> # Number of IO addresses required: 4
> # (IO 0 (SIZE 4) (BASE 0x0620))

So AWE does use 0x620 as the address!

> # Start dependent functions: priority acceptable
> # Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
> # Minimum IO base address 0x0620
> # Maximum IO base address 0x0680
> # IO base alignment 32 bytes
> # Number of IO addresses required: 4
> # (IO 0 (SIZE 4) (BASE 0x0620))
>
> # End dependent functions
> (NAME "CTL0045/85877[2]{WaveTable }")
> # (ACT Y)
> ))
> #
> # Logical device id CTL7001
> # Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x39
> # Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3a
> # Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3c
> # Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3d
> #
> # Edit the entries below to uncomment out the configuration required.
> # Note that only the first value of any range is given, this may be
> changed if required
> # Don't forget to uncomment the activate (ACT Y) when happy
>
> I want to DISABLE the game port - how? Do I comment it out?

Just leave it commented out. You need the game port for MPU, by
the way. The game port is where MPU output goes.

> (CONFIGURE CTL0045/85877 (LD 3
> # Compatible device id PNPb02f
> # ANSI string -->Game<--
> # Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
> # Minimum IO base address 0x0200
> # Maximum IO base address 0x0200
> # IO base alignment 1 bytes
> # Number of IO addresses required: 8
> # (IO 0 (SIZE 8) (BASE 0x0200))
> (NAME "CTL0045/85877[3]{Game }")
> # (ACT Y)
> ))
> #
> # Logical device id CTL0051
> # Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x39
> # Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3a
> # Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3c
> # Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3d
> #
> # Edit the entries below to uncomment out the configuration required.
> # Note that only the first value of any range is given, this may be
> changed if required
> # Don't forget to uncomment the activate (ACT Y) when happy
>
> I have no idea what to do with stereo enhance - can I comment it out too?

Leave it in. It may be necessary.

> (CONFIGURE CTL0045/85877 (LD 4
> # ANSI string -->StereoEnhance<--
> # Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
> # Minimum IO base address 0x0100
> # Maximum IO base address 0x03f8
> # IO base alignment 8 bytes
> # Number of IO addresses required: 1
> # (IO 0 (SIZE 1) (BASE 0x0100))
> (NAME "CTL0045/85877[4]{StereoEnhance }")
> # (ACT Y)
> ))
> # End tag... Checksum 0x00 (OK)
>
> # Returns all cards to the "Wait for Key" state
> (WAITFORKEY)

Please try the -rc options to pnpdump, and without change /etc/isapnp.conf,
run isapnp immediately afterward. It should just work.

David

once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com