baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: Interrupts and isapnp

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: Interrupts and isapnp
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 22:33:13 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005, David Moberg wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

So I ran pnpdump > /etc/isapnp.conf
which told me a lot of things about interrupts, and I probably need to
edit the file (see below).

Did you try the suggested -rc options with pnpdump? Those options will
do most of the work for you.

Not until after I spent a few hours trying to outguess the computer about IRQs and DMAs. It was more educational that way, of course.

isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf
Board 1 has Identity 15 00 01.... CTL0045 Serial No 85877 [checksum 15]

Here is isapnp.conf produced by pnpdump. It is enough to scare me
off pnp cards for a few years, but I think I have to uncomment some
things. Please help!!!!!

Please try the -rc options. I still am unable to make a good isapnp.conf
on my own, but the options will automatically create a working config
file for you.

They did, thanks.

# $Id: pnpdump.c,v 1.21 1999/12/09 22:28:33 fox Exp $
# Release isapnptools-1.21 (library isapnptools-1.21)

You may need a newer isapnptools. I'm not sure if 1.21 supports
the -rc options.

# (DEBUG)
(READPORT 0x0273)
(ISOLATE PRESERVE)
(IDENTIFY *)
(VERBOSITY 2)
(CONFLICT (IO FATAL)(IRQ FATAL)(DMA FATAL)(MEM FATAL)) # or WARNING

!!!!!!What am I supposed to do about this CONFLICT line?

Nothing. It just tells isapnp to give an error if there is an IRQ, IO,
DMA or memory conflict.

Is this
what is causing the card not to initialize in DOS as AWE32?

No. This is isapnptools-specific.

It
works in DOS with io 220 mpu 330 irq5 dma 1 dma16 5, except for
AWE. But the following sections suggest that I should perhaps set
to mpu 300 and dma 0 not 330 and 1, to avoid conflicts? It came
set to something like mpu 300 irq 10 dma 3 and 5 (or maybe 1 and 7).

In DOS I had to disable the game port to avoid some conflict (io I think).

# Card 1: (serial identifier 15 00 01 4f 75 45 00 8c 0e)
# Vendor Id CTL0045, Serial Number 85877, checksum 0x15.
# Version 1.0, Vendor version 1.0
# ANSI string -->Creative SB AWE32 PnP<--
#

# (IO 1 (SIZE 2) (BASE 0x0330))
And this line (for mpu io) even if I don't have a midi device?

Not strictly necessary, but a good idea, anyway.

DOS ctcm offered some configurations without mpu ios at all.

# Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
# Minimum IO base address 0x0388
# Maximum IO base address 0x0388
# IO base alignment 1 bytes
# Number of IO addresses required: 4
# (IO 2 (SIZE 4) (BASE 0x0388))
Is this for FM synthesis and do I need it for AWE?

Yes and no, respectively.

If I don't need FM synthesis why would I want to leave in the mpu io?

It looks like the following might be causing the AWE function to share
the interrupts and DMA of the regular part of the card - so I also
uncomment the parts with ( here?

This is another set of IRQ, IO and DMA addresses. You're supposed to
pick one set. So you can leave these commented.

This looks like the 'configurations' offered by DOS ctcm. - Choose
one set and then modify as needed.

# Start dependent functions: priority acceptable
# IRQ 5, 7 or 10.

I want to DISABLE the game port - how? Do I comment it out?

Just leave it commented out. You need the game port for MPU, by
the way. The game port is where MPU output goes.

I have never even SEEN an MPU device - what do they look like?
# Don't forget to uncomment the activate (ACT Y) when happy

I have no idea what to do with stereo enhance - can I comment it out too?

Leave it in. It may be necessary.

In DOS I have a program that I can use to turn it on and off. I think it is some 3D effect that your Vibra16 does not have. It is off by default in DOS and midis play just fine anyway. I wonder how I would turn it on in linux and use it. Reverb? I have an Audio Excel with 3D.

(CONFIGURE CTL0045/85877 (LD 4
# ANSI string -->StereoEnhance<--
# Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
# Minimum IO base address 0x0100
# Maximum IO base address 0x03f8
# IO base alignment 8 bytes
# Number of IO addresses required: 1
# (IO 0 (SIZE 1) (BASE 0x0100))
(NAME "CTL0045/85877[4]{StereoEnhance }")
# (ACT Y)
))
# End tag... Checksum 0x00 (OK)

# Returns all cards to the "Wait for Key" state
(WAITFORKEY)

Please try the -rc options to pnpdump, and without change /etc/isapnp.conf,
run isapnp immediately afterward. It should just work.

It seems to work (no error messages) but now drvmidi no longer plays midi music - just silence like before I got this working. It might not be a good idea to initialize the card both in DOS and with isapnp. I will try isapnp after bypassing system files some time. I rmmod'ed sb and awe_wave, insmodded sb with the new settings, and then insmod awe_wave said SB32 not detected (just like before I initialized with DOS) so maybe two rights made a wrong.

I can try isapnp to determine the settings for the ne ethernet card.

David