baslinux - [BL] Re: Interrupts and isapnp

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Re: Interrupts and isapnp
  • Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 22:12:16 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> > So isofs will not insert in BL3 on one of your computers? But BL2,
> > since it doesn't need insertion, works fine?
> >
> It won't insert in BL2 either.

But can you mount CDs if you use the BL2 kernel (which has isofs
built in)?

> Do you happen to know why, when I put in an ESS1868 ISA sound card
> (sb compatible) and disabled onboard secondary controller to avoid
> a conflict with its IDE controller, and plugged the CD-ROM drive
> into the controller (before that BIOS could not find it, due to the
> conflict), the CD-ROM drive now works in DOS, but linux tells me
> there is an interrupt problem with hdg and the CD-ROM drive does
> not work in linux.

Because Linux gets its information from the hardware itself, instead
of the BIOS, while DOS relies on the BIOS?

> hda - hard drive
> hdb - empty
> hdc and hdd - disabled onboard ide1
> hdf and hdg - tertiary controller. Apparently the CD-ROM drive was
> set to slave, but does it need to be master to work in linux?

It's funny that you should mention that, as I was just reading a
HOWTO (earlier today) which said that Linux will only support slave
drives if there is also a master drive on the same IDE interface.

> SB16 has a way to disable the onboard controller with software in
> DOS, which carries over into linux. I will look into the DOS ESS
> software, but does linux have a way to disable an onboard IDE
> controller on a pnp sound card, for instance can you do that with
> isapnp?

I don't think so. You can tell Linux to ignore certain IDE
controllers, but I don't think that is what you want.

> Why did the one card work at IRQ10 (I could ping it in linux) but
> not pass the DOS test?

Iffy diagnostic test? Or an IRQ conflict which only the test could
detect?

> I changed it to 11 also. Does isapnp also
> let you actually change the settings (write new settings
> permanently to the card)?

isapnp settings go away after a cold reboot.

> We have an ne card (AUI BNC and 10BaseT) for which you need to
> specify io and irq and first insmod 8390, which I may recycle
> though it offers a choice of three connectors. All five of these
> cards have AUI - what is the chance of finding that cable used?

AUI? Is that the same as coax?

On another note, I never realized how easy isapnp was until
I installed the latest version of isapnptools on BL2:

1) Install isapnptools
2) pnpdump -rc >/etc/isapnp.conf
3) isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf

The IRQ, DMA, and I/O addresses are displayed if you're using
a console, so you need to run this from a VT, not an xterm.
Here's what I see after inputting these commands:

Board 1 has Identity 35 ff ff ff ff 00 30 32 0d: CIR3000 Serial No -1
[checksum 35]
Board 2 has Identity 6d ff ff ff ff f0 00 8c 0e: CTL00f0 Serial No -1
[checksum 6d]
CIR3000/-1[0]{CIRRUS LOGIC PnP V34 MODEM}: Port 0x3E8; IRQ12 --- Enabled OK
CTL00f0/-1[0]{Audio }: Ports 0x220 0x330 0x388; IRQ5 DMA1 DMA3
--- Enabled OK
CTL00f0/-1[1]{Game }: Port 0x201; --- Enabled OK

Now, to activate my Vibra16, I do (after insmod of soundcore etc.):

insmod sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1

And MPlayer (with OSS) works perfectly. playmidi works after I insmod
opl3 with the address of 0x388. I guess if I used mpuio=0x330 (or
whatever the option is) I could plug in my MIDI keyboard and try that.

For my modem, I just do:

setserial /dev/ttyS2 port 0x3e8 irq 12

And then I can dial up perfectly with any kernel. So it turns out
that I was wrong about isapnp. It is easy, and it works correctly
with the BL kernels.

David

once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com