baslinux - Re: [BL] loadlin with vmlinuz

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] loadlin with vmlinuz
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 03:16:21 +0000 (UTC)

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

I will try the SHINIT.

This did not work either. Can you try it yourself? Boot into BL2
(if need be with the 2-floppy ramdisk version) or some other linux
and then chroot to BL3.

I just tried it. Hmmm. OK, I found the solution, but it isn't
documented in the manpage. ash --login is what you need to run
ash as a login shell. So, this is probably what you want:

chroot /mnt /bin/sh --login

David

For chrooting to bash I think you said it was
chroot /mnt /bin/bash -login

This produces aliases but 'set' tells me my shell is still /bin/bash.
I can't find a way to set shell to /bin/sh in a script but I can
type SHELL='/bin/sh' after chrooting and also run /etc/rc.

The path is now BL3 path tacked onto the BL2 path, meaning many things are in there twice.

I now have TWO computers with newish CD-ROM drives (48X) where I cannot insmod isofs in BL3 and therefore cannot read CD's in BL3. I will try the BL2 kernel on them in case it is a bug in the module of some sort. Cannot load isofs.o - 'Device or resource busy'.

And I have one external USR and now one internal jumpered-or-plugnplay Rockwell 56K modem which works with BL2 but not BL3 dialer. BL3 ppp-on just sits there doing nothing. pppd produces garbage which I cannot stop with a Ctrl-C or a reset.

So if in BL3 I need to chroot to BL2 to read a CD-ROM or dial.