baslinux - Re: [BL] loadlin with vmlinuz

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] loadlin with vmlinuz
  • Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 18:58:19 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> > Linux developers used Bitkeeper to manage the Linux source code
> > up until the past few months. However, the maker of Bitkeeper
> > has recently announced that it is discontinuing its free (as
> > in gratis) version of Bitkeeper on July 1. So, Linux kernel
> > development is slowing down temporarily, because it is necessary
> > to switch to a different source code management system. This
> > takes some time which would otherwise be spent improving Linux.
>
> I did not know that you could release something free and then take
> it back, or is it just that they are not letting people use the
> newest version for free?

I think it's a combination. To my knowledge, the Linux developers
can't use Bitkeeper anymore for Linux development, and the free
version was lacking some features needed to handle Linux as it
grows in size.

> 2.5.something is the first version where they fixed the bug in the
> kernel that kept cdrecord from working with my CD-ROM drive. We
> will see if Ubuntu can work with it. I think they may use some
> other Cd burning program anyway - do you happen to know?

As far as I know, cdrecord is still what you use to burn ordinary
CDs. There is cdrdao, but that is for copying CDs, not burning
audio or ISO files. Ubuntu may distribute nice GUIs which handle
all of the CLI options to cdrecord for users.

> Do you know if we can just snip the wire that replaced the jumper
> on a board which can take either AT or ATX power supply? A Tyan
> with 350MHz AMD K6-2 just got left on our doorstep as a kit, in a
> case with AT power supply, but hardwired to ATX. I can test video
> cards in it once we get it working. We have no extra ATX power
> supplies. It has four ISA slots (so I can really mess things up
> with too many IRQs taken).
>
> Do you know why a modem that we just flashed from x2 to x2+v90,
> which used to connect at 31200 with port speed 115200, now won't
> connect at all with that port speed, and with 57600 sometimes
> connects, but at 28800? Phoebe Micro, so it won't take the USR
> command to disable X2 (S32=34).

I'm no hardware expert. You'd probably get better information
from your in-house expert (Jim?)

David