baslinux - Re: [BL] playmidi and aumix

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] playmidi and aumix
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 15:16:40 +0000 (UTC)

Does this mean I don't really need to initialize SB cards in DOS in
order to use them in linux without isapnp?

Maybe. The sb.o initialization is a little too crude to get MPlayer
or mpg123 working on its own, but play will work. OPL3 won't work,
either. Does AWE32 work without DOS/isapnp initialization?

I think my problem with playmidi is not due to my not loading sound banks, because these cards come with 1MB of sounds built in and another 512K of free RAM (on the more expensive of two models) into which to load more sounds (and two SIMM slots if you want even more sounds). Only the jumpered Vibra16 CT3930 initializes AWE in DOS, and plays AWE, the others 'Awe32 initialization failed'. So what I need to do is learn to initialize AWE in linux with isapnp - similarly to needing to use isapnp to get OPL to insert and work.

I got the Creative configuration utility and manager files but they won't initialize AWE either, though they do fix conflicts that diagnose could not handle by letting me disable IDE and gameport to free up addresses and IRQs. They also let me permanently reset IRQ MPU and DMA on the more expensive AWE32 but not the cheaper SB32 CT3600.

So rather than compile awesfx I should learn isapnp (after testing AWE initialized Vibra16 CT3930 in linux first without loading sound banks).

The Crystal ISA card did not tell me there were any errors when I insmodded it (no DOS initialization). I still have to try aumix on it but it is in the Ubuntu computer (which did not find it or the ISA network card).

Ubuntu DID find the silent Trident card and it turned up the volume all the way and we can hear it through powered speakers now. So the Crystal probably needs volume turned up too - it was given us recently by a friend who tells us if something is broken.

The ATI and Trio3D are not vesafb, I tried them with your kernel. They need their own fb drivers. I think you compiled without those modules, but I want to recompile anyway to add sound.

But they are VESA 2.0 and worked with mplayer as vesa. The VooDoo does fb but not -vo vesa - why?

ATI
later Mach64s

Mach64 3D Rage Pro is what I have. It was one of the first consumer-level
cards (1997) to get hardware motion compensation. 1997 was when the DVD
craze was just beginning.

My ATI Mach 64 must be the same thing and it works better than ALL the Nvidias or the Voodoo despite having only 4MB RAM.

Should I the ATI with xvidix or cvidix under x11? Or instead of x11? With its own X server? With SVGA X server? (I have the generic version now working as 1024 and only need 800x600 for DVDs) It works fine as vesa or x11 (on B&W anyway).

Rage128 - we were given one of these (ATI) but it beeps and the
300MHz computer will not boot. We can try a different computer.

Still beeps: beep beep beep.

This is different from the 3+1 beeps when the keyboard is leaning against the case during boot, which took us 10 minutes of memory switching and BIOS reseating to diagnose.