baslinux - Re: [BL] loadlin with vmlinuz

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] loadlin with vmlinuz
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 15:26:01 +0000 (UTC)

For chrooting to bash I think you said it was
chroot /mnt /bin/bash -login

Actually, Steven said that.

What works to chroot to BL3 is similar looking (different shells need slightly different commands):
chroot /mnt /bin/sh --login

This produces aliases but 'set' tells me my shell is still /bin/bash.
I can't find a way to set shell to /bin/sh in a script but I can
type SHELL='/bin/sh' after chrooting and also run /etc/rc.

I just added "export SHELL='/bin/sh'" to /etc/profile and all is well.
I don't see why this is really necessary.

Thanks. I think it contained SHELL='/bin/sh' already, along with PATH=

Do I need SHELL= and export SHELL= if I already have SHELL= in there or should I just change the former to the latter?

The SHELL= is what I saw when I typed set, not something already in profile. Adding the export line to profile works perfectly. Maybe Steven could include it in some future of BL3 so other people can chroot, if they come from a linux using bash.

We had to add bash to BL3 to install dosemu, so setting shell is not important to us, but would leaving shell set to bash when chrooting cause problems for someone using BL3 who only has ash?

Sindi Keesan