baslinux - [BL] loadlin with vmlinuz

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] loadlin with vmlinuz
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 00:10:27 +0000 (UTC)

Can you boot other linuxes with loadlin, using the same boot to hd batch file as for BL2, but substituting vmlinuz for zimage?

We are attempting to put Ubuntu on a computer that also has BL2, and it cannot find root=/dev/hdb2 (where we put Ubuntu). The message is:

VFS: Cannot open root device "hdb2" or unknown-block(0,)
Please append a correct "root=" boot option.

We copied vmlinuz to the BL2 directory and skipped the grub and lilo options. The installation program said we could boot manually setting it to root=/dev/hdb2 so I copied over a BL2 boot file and changed zimage to vmlinuz. We tried with and without ro.

I can chroot to /dev/hdb2 from BL2 ramdisk but it has the wrong kernel. Can we boot BL2 with kernel 2.6 and chroot and run things properly? I would probably have to run the files in rc, and profile, to set paths, etc., but Permission denied to run profile. There are tons of rcs full of things we don't understand and probably don't want, with files starting with S or K followed by numbers.

I suspect that this linux won't last much longer than Caldera, SuSe, Redhat, or Mandrake (which would not even install - it did not like our newest computer's video). Ubuntu is Debian and the neighbor got 10 copies for the price of postage. It did not detect the ISA network card or the modem.

How can we get ubuntu to actually boot with loadlin?

This is one of two computers that would not boot loop BL3, but it works with BL2 RAMdisk or ext2 and ubuntu is ext2.