baslinux - Re: [BL] playmidi and aumix

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] playmidi and aumix
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 14:32:24 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 29 May 2005, David Moberg wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

Does this mean I do NOT need to insmod opl, just awe_wave?

Yes, if you only want AWE32 MIDI support instead of FM.

Do I
really need isapnp or do I just need to figure out the correct
settings for the insmod awe_wave file, from what worked for other
people.

You really need isapnp or DOS isapnp. Try insmodding opl3 before
and after isapnp and you'll see what I mean.

I'm not sure if awe_wave really needs isapnp, but opl3 sure does.

This seems like an excellent reason to use AWE32 instead of OPL.

I just acquired a PCI soundblaster Live card. If this is awe32,
would it be easier to set up? PCI cards don't seem to require
specifying io etc.

I don't think it is awe32. The Live card is much newer than the
awe32. It appears to want ALSA, from what I've read.

David

It seems to be circa 1999 or shortly before that. I did some reading just now and found one site which recommended using ALSA rather than some non-GPL driver sold for $35. Then I found a 1999 site with broken links to binaries for OSS drivers for this card (kernel 2.2.10 or older). Then I found someone else's problems with the card and it needs emu10k1.o which SW7.1 does have (dependencies are listed in the modules directory, it needs only soundcore, like my other PCI cards esssolo1 and trident), along with a joystick module for this card.

The person with problems posted something that might be dmesg, and it could not find sound-slot-1 and sound-service-0-6, which I hope are not required modules for this card. He seemed to have two SB cards in the same computer.

I doubt DOS supports the card, but the awesfx site said there were soundbanks specifically for it.

Win98FE has no driver for the card so it is probably 1999 and the lack of free drivers for OSS has since been remedied.

I got another of these cards at a yard sale yesterday ($5 included a 15GB IDE drive from someone who switched to SATA hardware). I may first test it with a driver for Win98FE. Since it is not ISA, no problems with isapnp in linux. It might even free up a DMA for the DVD-ROM drive and, unlike two of the AWE32 cards, you can plug in more than one sound cable so I can still use the scsi CD-ROM burner to listen to CDs if the DVD-ROM is not fixable with hdparm.

hwinfo reveals that ALL my IRQs are taken, and if I free one up by disabling USB onboard, the video card grabs it. Does the video card work better with an IRQ? If so, I will leave USB disabled unless this PCI sound card also frees up an IRQ for video. The scsi card grabbed an IRQ.

We were also given three more AGP video cards with big heat sinks and/or fans and up to 128MB RAM. Would they be better than the 64MB heat-sink-less Nvidia for DVDs?

I will report back if this card is BL3/BL2 compatible with this module.
I will need to recompile my sound kernel to use it after testing with bare.i kernel.