baslinux - Re: [BL] playmidi and aumix

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] playmidi and aumix
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 17:48:05 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> Do I need to load some sort of sound libraries to use awe32?

You need special OSS modules to use the awe32 functions of
your sound card. For FM synthesis, just opl3 is necessary.

> Why
> am I told 'No playback device found' when I select the option -f
> for FM synthesis

I have just discovered that opl3 needs to be correctly inserted
_and_ have the io module parameter set. For the Vibra16, at least,
you need ISA PnP to get this to work. Much to my surprise, it is
very easy to get this working. Here's the basic routine:

0) Grab and install the pnp.tgz package from Slackware for
isapnptools
1) (Re)boot (so there are no sound modules or used IRQs
2) Put the following in /etc/isapnp.conf:

<snip here>

(READPORT 0x0203)
(ISOLATE PRESERVE)
(IDENTIFY *)
(VERBOSITY 2)
(CONFLICT (IO FATAL)(IRQ FATAL)(DMA FATAL)(MEM FATAL)) # or WARNING
# SB 16 and OPL3 devices
(CONFIGURE CTL00f0/-1 (LD 0
(INT 0 (IRQ 5 (MODE +E))) # Adjust IRQ as needed. Defs should work.
(DMA 0 (CHANNEL 1))
(DMA 1 (CHANNEL 5)) # original was 3. Change it back if necessary
(IO 0 (SIZE 16) (BASE 0x0220))
(IO 2 (SIZE 4) (BASE 0x0388))
(NAME "CTL00f0/-1[0]{Audio }")
(ACT Y)
))

# Joystick device - only if you need it :-/

(CONFIGURE CTL00f0/-1 (LD 1
(IO 0 (SIZE 1) (BASE 0x0200))
(NAME "CTL00f0/-1[1]{Game }")
(ACT Y)
))
(WAITFORKEY)

<end of snipping>

3) Run "isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf" (this is the procedure
with the Slackware 4 isapnp. Slackware 7.1 may take
different options.)
4) insmod sound, soundcore, soundlow, uart401
5) insmod sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5
6) insmod opl3 io=0x388
7) mknod /dev/sequencer c 14 1 # (if not already made)
8) playmidi -f v.midi

The DMA/IRQ problem seems to rear its head again, but this
plays MIDIs anyway.

> instead of the default awe32?

So this explains why your playmidi didn't work when I just tested
it. I don't have an awe32 card.

> http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/playmidi-2.5-bl3.tgz is my attempt
> at a package (based on what pieces went where in a precompiled
> version of 2.4 which did not work for me at all, and including
> libnurses and also any other useful-looking info about midi, and
> three sample midi files, and html and man format documentation, and
> I think also aumix).
>
> Does this work for you?

No, but I probably should have used the -f option. I will try again
and report back if it doesn't work.

> I was just given a fourth AWE32 card (1994) so I would really like
> to get this working. It does not seem to matter if I insmod
> awe_wave.o and I cannot insmod the ym module - resource busy. Is
> that needed for midi?

Those modules are for awe32 midi playback, not FM synthesis. They
will need more configuration. The AWE32-HOWTO has some information
about this.

David

once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com