baslinux - Re: [BL] playmidi and aumix

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] playmidi and aumix
  • Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 23:52:31 +0000 (UTC)

I found an awesfx package for Slackware 10.0 at linuxpackages.
I found source code for awesfx utils at a link from http://members.tripod.de/iwai/awedrv-faq.html

The source code is .tar.bz2 and my download is corrupt. The author says he has switched to .tar.gz because .bz2 downloads have a download problem. I can't find a .tar.gz source code package at that site.

So you are not the only one with a .bz2 package that gets corrupted on download.

The site also has a lot of sound banks, some of which work with SB Live (which I now have).

I was able to fix the IRQs on this computer so that standard SB16 settings work by:
1. hwinfo - IRQs - 5 is taken by USB controller
2. CMOS - disable USB
3. Run SB16 diagnose - now all the standard settings work. MPU 330 instead of 330, IRQ 5 instead of 7, DMA 1 and 5 instead of 3 and 5.

Apparently the mystery hogger of DMA 0 and 1, and of IRQ 5, is USB.
4. The card also works in linux with these settings.
5. Reenable USB - sound still works with standard settings.

I tried this on a second computer of the same age (Tyan) and as soon as I reenabled USB in CMOS, sound could no longer use IRQ 5, so we left USB disabled and will enable it as needed (for camera downloads?).
Would a PCI sound card work here? I noticed that as soon as I freed up an IRQ (by disabling LPT1) the video card grabbed it, so perhaps PCI cards just use whatever is available.