baslinux - Re: [BL] X server on WD chip

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] X server on WD chip
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 03:47:12 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 15 May 2005, David Moberg wrote:

/usr/X11R6/bin/X - gives me the X screen (no icewm). The mouse works.
On exit I get the same SpeedUps selected stuff.

Likely just warnings. Pipe them to /dev/null (with "2>/dev/null" or
">/dev/null" added to the end) if they annoy you.

It also works if I change .xinitrc to leave only the line about
exec icewm (no &) and type either startx or xinit.

It is the combination of exec (which should be on the last line)
and & (which should be on every line _except_ the last line) which
caused the problem. xinit (and by extension startx) waits for the
last program listed in xinitrc to quit. Since the last program had
an & at the end, xinit thought that it had finished and dutifully
killed X.

Thanks. Some day I will get this straight. When I run Xvesa from CLI I can add things after exec.

I don't need the part about touch in startx.

Because it created the file the first time, and there is no need
to touch it afterwards.
But it does not really seem to need this file.

Or the export DISPLAY in .xinitrc.

xinit handles this for you.
Is this perhaps left over from Steven's Xvesa setup and should be removed
when switching to no-xvesa.tgz setup?

Or the SecurityPolicy file (I renamed it).

I saw some suggestion that this was merely a warning. I wanted to
be absolutely sure that this wasn't the problem, however.

Or the Clocks line.

I was completely wrong about this one.
It does not hurt. One website said to use it, the other did not.

The only required changes seem to have been to horizsyn,
vertrefresh, and modeline.

# File generated by xf86config.

Section "Files"

RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"

FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"

This is not a problem. X will still run as long as it can
find the "fixed" and "cursor" fonts, which are usually in
misc.

KDrive has these two fonts (plus two more fixed-size ones)
built in (usually. you can also leave them out when you're
building KDrive. The only binary I know of which does this
is the one which comes with 1diskx. It has a very tiny font
collection to allow it to run). So, ordinarily Xvesa will not
need any external fonts.

Steven added a few to improve readability.

Section "Monitor"

Identifier "compaq"
VendorName "compaq"
ModelName "compaq"

HorizSync 30-40
VertRefresh 60-70

Modeline "640x480" 28.32 640 664 760 800 480 491 493 525

No EndSection?

Does this actually work without one, or did you leave it out?

My error.

Standard VGA Device:

This part is needed for some reason.

I get error messages if I remark out this section:
Config Error: /etc/XF86Config:121
Device "Generic VGA" (squiggly underline under last two words).

Not a declared device.

It does work without this section (Standard VGA Device) if I also remark out the line about Generic VGA in the screen section:
Driver "svga"
# Device "Generic VGA"
Device "wd"
Monitor "Compaq"

Why would one want both Generic VGA and wd devices?

I am (without SecurityPolicy) again getting error operning security policy file) but it works anyway without it.

Weird. Can it run with just this one, and not the second one?
(the one with all the "wd"s)

I did not try, since it works with wd and without generic vga now.

I assume that you tried "Virtual 1024 768"?

It works but that puts me into the upper left quadrant. Is there a
way to switch between the 640 and the virtual 1024 if I only have a
modeline for the 640?

No. That would mean changing the size of the whole screen dynamically.
The X architecture doesn't currently support that, since it would mean
having to force everything into the new size.

I should probably remark out the virtual line if I want to see the whole screen (both the menu and the program it produces at one time without scrolling).

I can now run four full-screen programs in X
if I scroll between them with the mouse but it is not very
convenient to keep switching between lower left quadrant to access
the menu, and upper left to see the rxvt.

How would reducing the size of the screen solve the problem? You
would only be able to use one thing at a time, which seems like a
step backward to me.

I could not see the menu and the rxvt at the same time. I just discovered that if I move the mouse cursor to a point below the rxvt (blank screen) and hit the right button the top of the Menu appears. Without the menu there, I can also shorten the rxvt to make more space. A second rxvt puts itself just below the first one, and a third one appears in upper right on top of the first. I could resize rxvt to be 1/4 of the screen. Endless possibilities if I wanted to have four programs on the screen at once. My partner will enjoy this as he likes to see everything in front of him (which makes for very cluttered tabletops and kitchen floors). I like them all on separate screens.

As you can tell, I am not very familiar with window managers.

Thanks for dragging me through this and I hope this config also
works on James' Compaq laptop. Should I post the actual file?

I think that what has been posted is good enough.

Just delete the VGA section and the Generic VGA line in what I posted before.

David