baslinux - Re: [BL] Can't compile 486 kernel

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Can't compile 486 kernel
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 03:23:53 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 16 May 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

BL3 zimage.p1 and zimage.4dx both support the
parport drive, when used with a pentium.

Neither of those kernels was designed to support a
parport drive.

But they DO support it. Apparently they work with scsi_mod and I don't really need sd_mod. They accept ppa.o and imm.o too.
Both the pentium and the 486DX kernel worked on my pentium, both booting from the hard drive, and booting from grub floppy to zip drive.

The kernels let you load scsi_mod, apparently without any need to say Y or M to scsi support. Unless I am confused somewhere. I am sure the pentium kernel worked, but not sure if I tested your 486 kernel with zip drive or just mine. Did you configure differently for 386, 486 and 586 other than for actual cpu and fpu questions?

The 486 kernel worked when booted from the 486 hard drive, but not when booted from the boot floppy in the 486. This is what I consider a bug, or at least other people seem to think it is a kernel but because they encountered it with 2.2.13 but not 2.0.x (the POSIX testing is where the boot process hangs).

Neither work on a 486,
probably because of some bug in the kernel.

It's not a bug. The lack of support for parport
drives was intentional.

But there IS support, only not if you boot to linux on a parport zip drive plugged into my 486 laptop. It can be plugged into a pentium and work, or you can boot from the laptop and it works (and accesses the zip drive).