baslinux - Re: [BL] running Basic Linux from a USB data stick or from a CD-ROM

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] running Basic Linux from a USB data stick or from a CD-ROM
  • Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 22:02:44 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 6 May 2005, David Moberg wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

One is a RIM - on the back it says Go American Your Wireless ISP.
It has a small keyboard and LCD screen.

There is little chance of this working. It appears to be some
proprietary thing.

The other is a Palm III organizer with no keyboard (you use a
stylus but the person who gave it to us kept the stylus). You can
add 2MB RAM. Made by 3com. It requires Windows 95 or NT to sync
with a computer and has address book and mail applications and a
1998 CD Bonus Pack. I don't have high hopes for these.

You can use the prc-tools package on Unix-like operating systems to
sync with a Palm. Obviously, you will need a serial cradle or a
newer kernel and a USB cradle.

These both have cradles that plug into serial ports so if we get them going I will attempt to access them with linux. Neither one lights up with a good AA or AAA battery. Do I need some module to access via the serial port? I have not used anything but modem or nullmodem cable (dumb terminal) in the serial port, other than a camera (with photopc, which does not need any modules).

There is a version of Linux which can be run on a PalmIII and used
to test it, after you get the HotSync working.

[list of PDAs]

Could BL3 fit on something in your list?

Windows 98 has been run in an emulator on a Windows CE machine,
so BL3 would obviously fit. To run it natively, however,
everything would need to be recompiled to run on the archicture
of the machine in question.

Does linux normally support the architecture of a PDA? I don't even know what it would be called.

David