baslinux - [BL] running Basic Linux from a USB data stick or from a CD-ROM

  • From: 4llh-3os6 AT disposable.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] running Basic Linux from a USB data stick or from a CD-ROM
  • Date: Sat, 07 May 2005 03:48:41 -0400

> BL3 on PDA

Everything: kernel, console apps, X window, X apps
have to be recompiled to new processor built in
your PDA. Recompiled from sources but sources have to
be modified to take under consideration not
only bowels of new processor but also bowels of
other hardware of PDA. PDA screen size is not 640x480,
so X sources have to be changed too.

Etc., etc., etc......

> running linux on PDA v.s. using linux on PDA

Running linux on PDA means mainly that kernel
managed to boot.

If you want to use linux on PDA as i.e. BL3 on PC
(receiving,sending emails, writing some texts),
except Linux-native PDAs like Sharp Zaurus, Yopy etc.
you can do it on Compaq iPAQ and on PSION 5 Series.

As for Palm 3, linux kernel 2.0.39 (a modified
version done by uCLibc team if I recollect properly)
runs on it. But you can't use Linux on Palm
for everyday tasks - there are many very basic
problems not solved. I.e.: "How to enter chars?"

Palm 3 is keyboard-less machine (you should
thanks Apple Newton's creator who said:
"Keyboard in Newton is useless").

Grafitti, On-Screen keyboard work on Palm OS but
noone ported them to Linux yet.

Currently you can connect Palm 3 running linux kernel
to PC serial port trough HotSync and use PC keyboard
to enter chars. (Of course PC must be turned on and
running some terminal program).

Chris

--
Vim is enough for me.