baslinux - Re: [BL] running Basic Linux from a USB data stick or from a CD-ROM

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] running Basic Linux from a USB data stick or from a CD-ROM
  • Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 17:36:11 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> > You would need a new initfs.gz that included all
> > the PCMCIA stuff (in order to mount the CF card).
>
> That would include cardmgr (36K), and modules pcmcia_core (52K),
> i82365 (32K0 and ds (11K), totalling about 132K. Could I use
> David's ppa zip drive boot disk, make initfs.img about 100K bigger
> (132K minus ppa.o size), delete insmod ppa.o, and change where it
> looks for fs.img from sda4 to whatever the PCMCIA memory adaptor is
> called (hdb?

Yes. All that is basically needed is a filesystem at /dev/loop or
loop0. How you get a filesystem there is up to you.

> - I forget what it was on the laptop with one hard
> drive and no CD-ROM drive, but it might be different on the laptop
> with a CD-ROM drive). Maybe I would need to check hdb and hdc,
> like BL3 checks hda1-hda4 for /baslin. Do laptops ever have more
> than hda and hdb (hard drive and CD-ROM drive or DVD-drive)?

My laptop has a very strange drive map:

hda = CDRW/DVD combo drive
hdc = hard drive

Both are completely internal, were installed at the Dell factory and
are not easily replaceable. Don't ask me why the DVD drive is on the
first IDE channel as master.

> I might try this next winter if someone else does not beat me to it.

I may be working on some things like this. I am interested in a way
to be able to make changes to a bootable BL CD (by saving the changes
to a USB key or other writable drive)

> Someone just gave us three fast computers or boards and we need to
> round up two cases and a power supply. Dual 450, 500, and
> overclocked 700 that they overclocked by gluing resistors on the
> board. One of them ought to work for mplayer - any progress on
> compiling it, David?

No. It looks like the options are:

- Use the original glibc version if you can (I still have it on
disk but not at the web site)
- Use the current version either 1) with sox 2) with a newer kernel
3) no sound
- See if someone else (e.g. Stephen Clement) can build a good
binary
- Wait and see if I eventually get something to work (this may be
awhile, as I will need to set up a completely new development
environment)

I must say that you get a lot of hardware to try with BL. When I
look through the archives, it seems that every month you have
posted to the list about some new piece of hardware that you have
been given.

David
once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com