baslinux - Re: [BL] running Basic Linux from a USB data stick or from a CD-ROM

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] running Basic Linux from a USB data stick or from a CD-ROM
  • Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 00:45:21 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 5 May 2005, David Moberg wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

You would need a new initfs.gz that included all
the PCMCIA stuff (in order to mount the CF card).

That would include cardmgr (36K), and modules pcmcia_core (52K),
i82365 (32K0 and ds (11K), totalling about 132K. Could I use
David's ppa zip drive boot disk, make initfs.img about 100K bigger
(132K minus ppa.o size), delete insmod ppa.o, and change where it
looks for fs.img from sda4 to whatever the PCMCIA memory adaptor is
called (hdb?

Yes. All that is basically needed is a filesystem at /dev/loop or
loop0. How you get a filesystem there is up to you.

It may be beyond me this year. I am getting confused by too many loops and if you add pcmcia which I can barely handle I am way over my head.
But I may try this using your grub - ppa boot disk with modifications some day.

- I forget what it was on the laptop with one hard
drive and no CD-ROM drive, but it might be different on the laptop
with a CD-ROM drive). Maybe I would need to check hdb and hdc,
like BL3 checks hda1-hda4 for /baslin. Do laptops ever have more
than hda and hdb (hard drive and CD-ROM drive or DVD-drive)?

My laptop has a very strange drive map:

hda = CDRW/DVD combo drive
hdc = hard drive

This implies that one ought to check hda hdb hdc and maybe hdd for a /baslin. Would the pcmcia memory card go to hdb in your case, or hdd?

Both are completely internal, were installed at the Dell factory and
are not easily replaceable. Don't ask me why the DVD drive is on the
first IDE channel as master.

I might try this next winter if someone else does not beat me to it.

I may be working on some things like this. I am interested in a way
to be able to make changes to a bootable BL CD (by saving the changes
to a USB key or other writable drive)

Please do and I will test the results. How would you save to a USB key without using a later kernel?

Someone just gave us three fast computers or boards and we need to
round up two cases and a power supply. Dual 450, 500, and
overclocked 700 that they overclocked by gluing resistors on the
board. One of them ought to work for mplayer - any progress on
compiling it, David?

No. It looks like the options are:

- Use the original glibc version if you can (I still have it on
disk but not at the web site)

I will try that when we get one of these newer computers working. Currently putting a power supply in one, and the other is now in a case with a power supply. I don't think I saved the file so I will ask for it when I am ready.

- Use the current version either 1) with sox 2) with a newer kernel
3) no sound
I AM using sox and the whole point of this was to play sound (realaudio).

- See if someone else (e.g. Stephen Clement) can build a good
binary
- Wait and see if I eventually get something to work (this may be
awhile, as I will need to set up a completely new development
environment)

No hurry. I have plenty of other toys to play with such as the matrox kernel and the pcmcia linux and today I picked up a smartmedia card reader for $3 so I can try USB to ramdisk linux from a 64MB card. mpg123 is now playing 20 stations for me.

I must say that you get a lot of hardware to try with BL. When I
look through the archives, it seems that every month you have
posted to the list about some new piece of hardware that you have
been given.

We have a reputation among friends and neighbors for recycling or even finding homes for old computers. The three latest donations are from someone to whom we gave our spare ATX case that we got with a nonusable board in it from someone who was asking where to recycle 50 computers at our local bbs. The 600 MHz on which we replaced bad caps is from the brother of a neighbor whose yard cycle we recycled after, as is the dual pentium-pro. Just let people know you will recycle for free and all sorts of things show up on the porch. I think our new cutoff will be 233MHz.

Also we used to volunteer running the electronics dept at a local Kiwanis club with a weekly rummage sale and we still fix things there and raid the dumpster. We now have two dead PDAs - can you put linux on them if they revive?

We have orders for two internet computers and will foist off the two working Windows/Opera models on the neighbor and his cousin, except that I seem to need Windows to test this dratted ppa 820cse printer since it just blinks three colored lights at me in linux. The 722s worked but only one day and now do not like any cartridges. Someone said there was a way to do something to the contacts to fool the printer - anyone know where to look? The 722s were printing in linux (albeit at 1/4 proper size and in chicken tracks) and the 820 won't print even tho I followed instructions to increase margin size if the lights all blinked.

David