baslinux - Re: [BL] running Basic Linux from a USB data stick or from a CD-ROM

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] running Basic Linux from a USB data stick or from a CD-ROM
  • Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 20:00:01 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 5 May 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

10MB CF memory card and PCMCIA adaptor -
could BL3 (with fs.img reduced from 20MB to 10MB)
be run from that in someone else's laptop computer,
booting from a boot floppy disk?

You would need a new initfs.gz that included all
the PCMCIA stuff (in order to mount the CF card).

That would include cardmgr (36K), and modules pcmcia_core (52K), i82365 (32K0 and ds (11K), totalling about 132K. Could I use David's ppa zip drive boot disk, make initfs.img about 100K bigger (132K minus ppa.o size), delete insmod ppa.o, and change where it looks for fs.img from sda4 to whatever the PCMCIA memory adaptor is called (hdb? - I forget what it was on the laptop with one hard drive and no CD-ROM drive, but it might be different on the laptop with a CD-ROM drive). Maybe I would need to check hdb and hdc, like BL3 checks hda1-hda4 for /baslin. Do laptops ever have more than hda and hdb (hard drive and CD-ROM drive or DVD-drive)?

I might try this next winter if someone else does not beat me to it.

Someone just gave us three fast computers or boards and we need to round up two cases and a power supply. Dual 450, 500, and overclocked 700 that they overclocked by gluing resistors on the board. One of them ought to work for mplayer - any progress on compiling it, David?