baslinux - Re: [BL] MPlayer

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] MPlayer
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 10:44:44 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> mplayer http:..... (url of a streaming MP3 station) got me only
> error messages:
>
> same thing about the codecs.conf and also
>
> font: can't open file: /root/.mplayer/font/font.desc
> font: can't open file: /usr/share/mplayer/font/font.desc
>
> Why do we need a font in order to listen to music?

You do not need a font.

> I had the same problem trying to play a .wav file offline.

Did you get another error message? How did you play this?
mplayer file.wav should start playing. It does here, with
nothing but BL3.

> It made /root/.mplayer/config which consists only of:
>
> # Write your default config options here!
>
> Should I put something here to make mplayer happier about fonts?
> Do you have a font.desc?

No. It works without it.

> mpg123 is playing 24K broadcasts beautifully at this location,
> where I connect at 45-48K. It skips some at the other location at
> 42-44K.
> I interrupted some Russian monks to try out mplayer.
>
> Mplayer told me my cpu type and speed, and that I have MMX (cpu)
> and 3DNow and SSE2. Also
> Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX
>
> Do I need MMX cpu to use this version? Pentiums slower than 166MHz
> don't have that.

It may need a PII. I can't figure out how to make it work on CPUs older
than the machine I compiled it on. I first compiled it on a P4, but then
it wouldn't work on my P2. So I recompiled it on my P2.

David
once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com