baslinux - [BL] Opera 7.54

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Opera 7.54
  • Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 16:11:24 +0000 (UTC)

Last night I spent 35 min downloading Opera for Slackware 8.0/8.1 and discovered it was the 3.8 MB shared version (needs qt libraries). There are two choices (identically looking on the menu) for the 5.1MB static version. Unpackage and run install.sh. It uses the old preferences but has a new toolbar-thing with large icons on the left side which I was able to remove. Major difference I can see is they now use flashy 3D icons which are harder to see (pastel on medium grey with shadows) and don't give you a choice of eliminating icons. Also after removing all but the menu (under View, toolbars) the ad banner was down to 1 narrow line (you only see the top of it - the word 'Sponsored').

You can now 'block all pop-ups' or 'block unwanted popups' (instead of 'block all pop-ups you did not request', which makes more sense to me).
They now support chat.

There is NOT a Slackware 7.1 Opera but there IS a Redhat 6 Opera (most likely shared) which someone might want to try on BL2 (after first adding QT from SW7.1). That would save the need for a glibc upgrade and cut Opera down in size, and you can try to add only the needed library or libraries. libqt.so.something is the first problem. But glibc2.2.5 is needed by some other precompiled programs such as xpdf and SW81 sane.