baslinux - Re: [BL] reduced icewm for BL2

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] reduced icewm for BL2
  • Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 03:54:45 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, David Moberg wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

I added to the menu xv, xpdf, gs, and changed xterm to rxvt on the
first line. I think I would need to change it in the control panel
menu as well in order to get that submenu (it is it not there at
all) and to install clock and calculator and magnify to see the
utilities submenu. What does xkill do?

Not much. By default, it initially changes the mouse cursor. If you
click on a window, the application which controls it is killed. The
original mouse cursor is restored after you kill one program, and xkill
shuts itself down.

I tend to exit X programs with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace. Simpler to remember.

I can chroot to bl3 and run X with icewm (from a vt of Bl2) and
hopefully use Abiword that way since the BL2 version won't work
with Xvesa.

The BL3 Abiword doesn't run on BL2? Even if you have xset?

What is xset? BL3 Abiword requires a rather odd location of fonts and I don't want to move them around now that I have Xvesa working in BL2. The Abiword Steven compiled for BL2 won't work with Xvesa. I have not actually used Abiword after testing it. I just need some way to read WORD files and none of the convertors/importers I tried including Abiword got the format quite right and I need to preserve formats of what people send to translate. So I am stuck with Win98 and their viewer, unless I want to ask people to print and scan the file. Or MS decides to provide a free linux WORD viewer.

Winoptions is still there and has something to do with java, xload,
and mozilla and xeyes. Is it relevant to BL3? What is fte?

No idea.

David
--

The current maintainer of netpbm has been really helpful, and has even added to some of the man pages in response to my questions. He got into this sort of by accident when one of the programs was broken. I will soon be posting a collection of the programs I would like to use from netpbm, unless anyone else has requests. Mostly just ways to resize and convert and print common image formats.