baslinux - Re: [BL] Netpbm cont'd (was: reduced icewm for BL2)

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Netpbm cont'd (was: reduced icewm for BL2)
  • Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 16:48:37 +0000 (UTC)

I should learn to compile it for DOS so I can print pbm files to
the Windows-only deskjet with pbmtoppa. Or maybe the guy who sent
me the pieces of it has the others.

Curveball: Netpbm needs perl to configure. I recommend that you get
the binaries from a site.

Check if the binaries here run on DOS:
http://tutornet.ru/TEX/Soft/MiKTeX/UTIL/NETPBM/GNU/bin/

This appears to be netpbm version 10.6 (2003) and contains pbmtolj and ppmtolj and pbmtoepson but not pbmtoescp2. I backed up a few links and discovered that it is unfortunately for Win95 and WinNT. You can download single .exe files or all the bin files in a large zip file. Another file of lib files.

Alternatively:
http://programming.ccp14.ac.uk/ftp-mirror/programming/djgpp/pub/simtelnet/gnu/djgpp/v2apps/

^^^^ The files that start with npbm and end with b.zip are netpbm binaries.
I'm not sure what npbmlxb.zip is.

They have version 9.8 from 2000 and 9.16 from 2001, and I hope djgpp is really for DOS.

The current maintainer took over some time since 1999 and has been adding anything p*m-related so other things than pbmtoescp2 may be lacking but this is an excellent link to have. Many thanks.

We just proved that the 600 series deskjets will print black when they have colored ink but no black ink (it comes out blank) but will NOT print black when they have black ink but no colored ink. I am collecting the original deskjet 500 and 520, which does only black and has hardware control of number of columns, etc., and even has some useful info in the manual. Later manuals say to format with your software. Some of the 500 series (560C) will also print color - maybe you switch cartridges to do so?.