baslinux - Re: [BL] reduced icewm for BL2

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] reduced icewm for BL2
  • Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 00:17:44 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005, David Moberg wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

Netpbm
can be compiled for DOS (someone did it for me) and that would give
me a DOS 'Windows' printer with which to impress the friend who
does his taxes on a Commodore.

I'm curious as to what he uses. Is that a Commodore 64?
He collects Commodores - could be a 128.

Do you know if he uses any unusual software to do this? I didn't know
that old Commodores made good tax-form-preparation platforms.

An old text spreadsheet program, I think. The precursor of what MS uses now, I forget the name.

Do you have pbmtext and pbmpage?

Not anymore. I seem to have lost the netpbm source from my hard drive.
I will download it again...

I should learn to compile it for DOS so I can print pbm files to the Windows-only deskjet with pbmtoppa. Or maybe the guy who sent me the pieces of it has the others.

/usr/lib for
all the lib files and the rest in /usr/local/bin?

libc, libm and ld-linux usually go in /lib, since they're standard C
libraries. /usr/local/bin sounds fine for the binaries. Or add the
current directory to your PATH.

Should libnetpbm
go in /usr/local/lib?

/usr/lib would be my preference, since it's built into ld, and since
it's a precompiled library.
Good.

I may just put all the programs together in one file with instructions where to move things to, such as what to do with the three BL3 libraries if you have BL2. And give a few sample scripts for things like copy (scan/shorten/print-to-ppa), print pdf (pdf-to-pbm-to-lj, etc.).

unix2dos (or dos2unix -d) appears to be needed only for text files to
convert between EOL formats.

I thought that your printer's language might have EOLs, but now I
realize that it's only PostScript that has that.

When I print text files on a deskjet or I think also Epson inkjet I need to convert to DOS format first or they don't do CR, but graphics files don't see to have unix/dos differences.

My Panasonic dot-matrix prints unix text files properly.

I have never even seen a postscript printer.

Should I wait for pbmtotext and pbmpage and a static version of pnmtopng?

David