baslinux - Re: [BL] reduced icewm for BL2

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] reduced icewm for BL2
  • Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 10:19:17 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> > The BL3 Abiword doesn't run on BL2? Even if you have xset?
>
> What is xset? BL3 Abiword requires a rather odd location of fonts
> and I don't want to move them around now that I have Xvesa working
> in BL2.

Xset is a little tool which lets you change X server settings while
the server is running. The BL3 Abiword uses it to set up its fonts.

What is unusual about the font location? The copy I have here has
them in the /usr/local/AbiSuite/fonts/ directory. When you run the
/usr/local/bin/abiword (a symlink to the actual script) shell script,
that uses Xset to tell Xvesa where the fonts are, and then it's loaded.
What's there to move around? You can just leave them in the AbiSuite
directory.

> I have not actually used Abiword after testing it. I just need
> some way to read WORD files and none of the convertors/importers I
> tried including Abiword got the format quite right and I need to
> preserve formats of what people send to translate. So I am stuck
> with Win98 and their viewer, unless I want to ask people to print
> and scan the file. Or MS decides to provide a free linux WORD
> viewer.

<complaint> The DOC format is big and very complicated. You lose
formatting even when you move files between different versions of
Word. I guess this is to force you to buy new versions of Word or
Office. </complaint>

> The current maintainer of netpbm has been really helpful, and has
> even added to some of the man pages in response to my questions.
> He got into this sort of by accident when one of the programs was
> broken. I will soon be posting a collection of the programs I
> would like to use from netpbm, unless anyone else has requests.
> Mostly just ways to resize and convert and print common image
> formats.

Are these from the pbmtox tarball, or is the maintainer building them?

David
once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com