baslinux - Re: [BL] HTTPD

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] HTTPD
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 02:48:57 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005, David Moberg wrote:

Could I add to .xinitrc as first line 'resizecons 80x25'? My only
serious problem with Xvesa other than on one laptop is that it
messes up my console when it exits.
^^^^^^^^
Xinitrc is executed when X starts up. How would that help?

I have rc.S set to 'resizecons 80x30'. (I had to do this three
times in a row to get a full 30 lines instead of just 25 lines of
smaller text). If I go into Xvesa with the virtual terminals set to
80x30, then things get very messed up and I lose my cursor in MDA
or VGA (when I exit Xvesa). Exiting from 80x30 to plain 80x25
should eliminate this particular problem with Xvesa (assuming I
have not also loaded another font).

I could perhaps do this in an alias instead:
'resizecons 80x25; xinit -- /usr/X11R6/bin/Xvesa ....'

I will experiment with this. Is there some way to set up an alias
so that when I exit it goes back to 80x30?

resizecons 80x25; startx; resizecons 80x30
^ Try that. You can make it into an alias.

Okay, thanks. In BL2 I am not using startx but xinit....., and in BL3 there is no support for different console font sizes (unless I use the BL2 kernel instead).

[what kind of mice are causing trouble?]
All PS/2 mice. I have a source of free mice and will just keep
trading until they all work with everything. I want to keep the
serial ports free for use with external modem and nullmodem cable.

gpm in repeater mode may help, and/or a different Xserver.

All the mice work with gpm. It is Xvesa or svgalib that give problems.
Simplest just to change mice. Eventually I will get the Virge and S3 X and ATI X servers working.

David