baslinux - Re: [BL] Copying with 2-button mouse in Xvesa without Xconfig

  • From: "Ian Scott" <mriscott AT yahoo.co.uk>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Copying with 2-button mouse in Xvesa without Xconfig
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 13:41:28 -0000

> >> How would you, on one line, set up an alias
> >> to go into Xvesa
> >
> > I wouldn't. Thats what xinit and ~/.xinitrc are for.
> >
> >> and load icewm and opera?

(snip)

> I have trouble understanding man pages but will try again. I
> would like
> to know what this all means.
>

> >> can I set up several .xinitrc's and choose between them?
> >
> > man xinit

Since you have confessed to a problem reading manpages, I have had a look at
the xinit manpage for you. It's a beaut! If you find other manpages
difficult, I don't fancy your chances with this one! So I have distilled
what I learnt from it:

I suspect the answer you want is to use separate .xinitc's.

e.g.

create a /etc/xinitrc.opera file containing something like

icewm&
exec opera

This will start icewm and opera, then when you exit opera, X will close down

Then set an alias like:

alias O='xinit /etc/xinitrc.opera -- /usr/X11/bin/Xvesa -terminate'

By the way, the logic in xinitrc files is:
- You want & at the end of the all lines except the last one
- You want an exec before the last line
- when the program on the last line exits, X closes down.

i.e. in the example I have given, quitting opera would quit X. Choosing
quit from an icewm menu, however, would just close icewm, leaving opera
running.

Hope this helps.