baslinux - Re: [BL] LPrinting with BasLinux 3.2

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: dos AT lieber.com.ar, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [BL] LPrinting with BasLinux 3.2
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 03:53:04 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005, Alejandro Lieber wrote:

On 8 Jan 05 at 23:31, sindi keesan wrote:

Have you done
insmod parport
insmod parport_pc
insmod lp
Done

Or have you tried using Steven's 'wp' program, which does the above
insmod's and sends your file to the printer?
Done

Now it works, but I have two parallel outputs.
It works with lp1.
But I want to use lp0, the same output I use in DOS.

I also have two printer ports and the one on my Hercules card is identified as lp0 (lpt1) because of the address and I have linux printing with lp0 but I cannot get it to print with lp1.

I think I tried something like cat filename > /dev/lp0 (which works)
or> /dev/lp1 (which did not work).

I tried this on several computers. Do you know what the address is for your onboard printer port and your HGC printer port? Some HGC cards have jumpers so you can change the card's address. The default on the card seems to be what is recognized as lp0 and there are 2 or 3 choices. You can change the onboard setting in CMOS (setup). Make sure it is different from what is on the card. What does dmesg tell you about the ports?

For one of my Hercules cards I had to specify the address when doing parport_pc (or maybe it was parport) to get things to work right. Otherwise I had mda display problems. This card would not print at all for me and I think had some odd address.

What do I change to use lp0 instead of lp1 ?

Can the wp script be rewritten to specify lp1?

I have one HGC card with a printer port that works in DOS but not in linux
no matter how I set it up. What is DLC? I have heard of SX, SLC, and
DX. Is DLC a low-energy equivalent of a 486DX cpu?

The 486DLC was a Citrix procesor, similar to a 386DX.
The LandMark speed test of my different computers gave:

20Mhz 286: 20
33Mhz 386SX: 45
40Mhz 386DX: 60
40Mhz 486DLC: 122
40Mhz 486SX: 160
66Mhz 486DX2: 240

Is DLC lower power than a DX or an SX? My partner thinks SLC is lower power than SX and therefore is used in laptop computers.
Is your DLC in a laptop?