baslinux - Re: [BL] shell scripting

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] shell scripting
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 04:27:48 +0000 (UTC)

At sdf using NetBSD

echo $SHELL
/bin/ksh

The default here is korn shell.

I found a .profile so it seems to use something similar to bash.
zsh is supposedly based on ksh so I looked at .profile and figured out how to change the prompt for ksh. Just type PS1=" " (fill in the blank part).

PS1="$ " is what it comes with. Prompt is $
PS1="%" changed it to %
PS1=/w changed it to /w, as you hypothesized, Steven.

Now all I need to do is read how to change it to current working directory. They have some fancy examples in the default .profile but the man page might be easier to follow. I will get immediate gratification now by setting my account to show me where I am here without pwd. I don't know why this is not the default. Is it the default for ash/bash or was it set that way in profile for BL3? There are also ways (at least in zsh) to set it to show the time and date.