baslinux - Re: [BL] Cannot boot BL2 HD but RAMdisk works.

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Cannot boot BL2 HD but RAMdisk works.
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 01:50:30 +0000 (UTC)

BL3 loop works but BL3 from HD won't boot either.
(Using the BL3 kernel - I did not bother checking bare.i).

In the previous board, ramdisk, loop and hd linuxes usually booted (2/3 to 3/4 of the time) but zipslack never booted. On this board zipslack (from SW4.0) booted (very slowly). A third computer won't boot loop BL3 with Win9X DOS but will boot it with anything else. All using loadlin.

Should I try a different kernel? Unplugging the CD-ROM drive? A different version of DOS? DR-DOS (which I have on here) worked on all the other boards (except the 'not a kernel image one', sometimes, where Win9X DOS DID work). FreeDOS himem.sys seems to cooperate with Xvesa.
Are there certain AMD-K6-2 cpus that wont' boot? We have two that look the same but this one was given to us recently not in a board.

Lilo? I got dosemu working today so that is a possibility - work in linux and access Wordperfect with DOSemu, then reboot if I need more DOS.
Can I boot with lilo on floppy disk (to linux on HD)? I don't want to risk making a real mess of things right now. I can also go back to the DFI board that works more than half the time. This one is faster. ASUS.
My other ASUS with same cpu works fine with linux. Same generation, identical speed settings.

The person who gave us this board did not mention any problems. He told us what was wrong with two monitors (which are harder to get rid of if dead) - they have fixed themselves with a bit of unplugging replugging.
But it was from his office and came in a case with no power supply.
A web search found people with various other boot problems but not this one.