baslinux - Re: [BL] CD-R burner bug requires 2.5.43 kernel

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] CD-R burner bug requires 2.5.43 kernel
  • Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 23:25:53 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004, James Miller wrote:

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, sindi keesan wrote:

I hear FreeDOS does not yet have a usable CD-ROM driver.

Not true. They offer shsucdex.exe. Someone other than the main
developers wrote it, but it's distributed (and I believe now maintained)
by them.
Hal said he had to use something like oakcdrom.sys with the shsucdex.exe but maybe he had some other problem.

I discovered that I have been running linux in 64MB RAM on a second
computer, also with 256MB RAM installed. Would Ken's program for clearing
vectors keep this from happening?

Isn't this related to DOS's addressable memory limit? That's 64MB, as I'm
recalling.
But on a computer with 4x32MB SIMMs linux recognizes 128MB without needing to add mem=128M. Maybe each motherboard is different? I will compare in case DIMMs need that and SIMMs do not.

Perhaps lilo recognizes the RAM but loadlin does not?

James