baslinux - Compiling with Bl3 Re: [BL] Get_info on PCMCIA

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Compiling with Bl3 Re: [BL] Get_info on PCMCIA
  • Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 14:13:22 +0000 (UTC)

Steven, how difficult is it to compile links2 for BL3 and was there anything special you had to do for it? I want to get the SVGAlib support so I can use it on a laptop 486 with 8-bit color in graphical mode. Do you have some sort of configuration setup that you used which I could copy and just add SVGAlib support (and remove X support to save space)? I can add the needed libraries (jpeg png tiff gif?) rather than compile them in.

I will also attempt to compile a later pppd that might work better with my external modem. Is that tricky in any way?

Nice to have 3.32 finally working (with less but better RAM). Now I can get into all sorts of trouble trying to compile on it. ghostscript, lynx...

My laptop pentium only boots with loadlin if I start with Freedos and Freedos himem.sys interferes with Xvesa. I have a choice of a config.sys boot menu (to load or not to load himem.sys in order to use linux or DOS) or lilo. I have not used lilo, but assume you get some sort of choice between DOS and linux. What would be the advantages of either method?
If I want to use DOS more than half the time is it faster to use the
config.sys menu method? Then I would need to reboot to get into linux.
Does the lilo menu get me into DOS about as fast as usual?

Does lilo provide a boot choice or do I need to add something else? Would smart boot manager be helpful here? (I might put it on anyway so I can boot from CD-ROM drive on this computer).