baslinux - Re: Compiling with Bl3 Re: [BL] Get_info on PCMCIA

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Compiling with Bl3 Re: [BL] Get_info on PCMCIA
  • Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 02:18:06 +0000 (UTC)

Not that I remember. However, I have previously added a
lot of additional packages (required by other sourcecode)
so a don't know if links2 will compile on just the base
compiler packages.
I hope the documentation will tell me what I need.

My laptop pentium only boots with loadlin if I start
with Freedos and Freedos himem.sys interferes with Xvesa.

Have you tried DOS 5 on that machine? The himem.sys in
DOS 5 is the only one that doesn't mess up Xvesa on this
computer.

Forget Xvesa. We cannot get the computer to boot into DOS -- MS-DOS 6.22, Win9X DOS, DR-DOS 7.03, or PC-DOS --- and only FreeDOS would boot. Someone else had it working with Windows NT before that. We got linux to work first with lilo (lilo on floppy disk) and then discovered FreeDOS would boot so we could use loadlin. SBM (smart boot manager) let us boot DamnSmallLinux from a CD-ROM with lilo too. But FreeDOS messes up Xvesa, says Hal, which leaves us either no Xvesa or needing to use lilo. Will SBM let me choose between FreeDOS and lilo (BL2 or BL3)?

I have not used lilo, but assume you get some sort of
choice between DOS and linux.

Usually lilo boots directly to the default OS, but you
can press a key to enter a different option.

I think you can set it to go into DOS if you do not do anything in 3 or 5 seconds, and another OS (or one of another 2?) otherwise.

What would be the advantages of either method?

loadlin.exe is more idiot-proof and is easier to fix
when something goes wrong.

Except I won't be able to use FreeDOS with himem.sys so would have to reboot and hit F5 any time I was in DOS and wanted to switch to loadlin/linux.

Does lilo provide a boot choice

That depends on how you configure /etc/lilo.conf

I have been reading about this in a SuSE book. SuSE is confusing if you have been using Slackware.