baslinux - Re: Compiling with Bl3 Re: [BL] Get_info on PCMCIA

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Compiling with Bl3 Re: [BL] Get_info on PCMCIA
  • Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 08:07:49 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> Steven, how difficult is it to compile links2 for BL3

IIRC it wasn't too bad: more user-friendly than most.

> and was there anything special you had to do for it?

Not that I remember. However, I have previously added a
lot of additional packages (required by other sourcecode)
so a don't know if links2 will compile on just the base
compiler packages.

> Do you have some sort of configuration setup that you
> used which I could copy

Sorry I don't have room on this system to keep the working
files from everything I've compiled. As soon as the binary
is working 100%, I delete the working directory (keeping only
the original tgz package).

> I will also attempt to compile a later pppd that might
> work better with my external modem. Is that tricky in any way?

IIRC there are kernel issues with pppd (unlike most
programs, which don't care on which kernel they run).

> My laptop pentium only boots with loadlin if I start
> with Freedos and Freedos himem.sys interferes with Xvesa.

Have you tried DOS 5 on that machine? The himem.sys in
DOS 5 is the only one that doesn't mess up Xvesa on this
computer.

> I have not used lilo, but assume you get some sort of
> choice between DOS and linux.

Usually lilo boots directly to the default OS, but you
can press a key to enter a different option.

> What would be the advantages of either method?

loadlin.exe is more idiot-proof and is easier to fix
when something goes wrong.

> Does lilo provide a boot choice

That depends on how you configure /etc/lilo.conf

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru