baslinux - Re: [BL] zipslack (UMSDOS), pkunzip, and 'Not a kernel image'

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] zipslack (UMSDOS), pkunzip, and 'Not a kernel image'
  • Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 07:45:32 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> I tried pkunzip -d zipslack.zip
> Insufficient memory for pkunzip.
> Can the extracted file be larger than 64MB for DOS pkunzip?

I had the same problem with the old (standard) DOS
version of pkunzip. I believe there is a more recent
DOS version that is able to handle very large files.

> So I booted into BL2 and used the linux unzip program there.

That's how I did it too.

> Does BL3 busybox unzip work on 37MB zip files?

I haven't tried it, but I would guess not. It's just a
mini-version designed for uncomplicated zip files.

> Does UMSDOS overheat things more than regular linuxes?

UMSDOS certainly carries more overhead than ext2.
Each Linux file is stored individually on the DOS
filesystem, so even a tiny file takes up a whole
cluster. Linux has *lots* of tiny files. Add to
that the complications of maintaining a permission
structure on a filesystem which doesn't do permissions
and of doing symbolic links on a filesystem which
doesn't do those either. And then there's the DOS
fragmentation problem.

So yes, Linux has to work harder on UMSDOS.
And it's slower, and bigger, and less stable.

Note: the loop filesystem (used by BL3) is not
subject to those issues. Although the image file
(fs.img) does sit on a DOS filesystem, the actual
filesystem is ext2. Permissions, links, clusters
are no problem. And the fragmentation issue relates
to only one file (the image file), not to the zillions
of Linux files.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru