baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 as X-terminal in 4MB RAM

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 as X-terminal in 4MB RAM
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 14:26:24 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?threadid=88991
in which someone is trying to find a use for his 486
with 4MB RAM as an X terminal.
Would BL3 be useful for this?

Yes. BL3 was designed to run an Xterminal in 4mb RAM.

I just signed up at linuxquestions.org (having forgotten my old password) and entered a short description of BL3 as the first and ONLY response to the above item in Member Success Stories from 2003. A lot of people had read this but no replies. I hope this draws a horde of people trying to use their 4MB laptops for X terminals.

I recall that 3MB was not sufficient to run X, but I
think I could run it very slowly (one program at a time)
with 4MB.

Standalone X requires significantly more resources than
an Xterminal. The BL3 Xterminal is especially light:
it doesn't use any X libraries, it doesn't even use libc.