baslinux - Re: [BL] problems with uninstall and man

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] problems with uninstall and man
  • Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 07:53:26 +1300

Sebastian wrote:

> I would like to know how I could uninstall any package.
> I know how to install with "pkg", but do not know how
> to uninstall...

BL3 has no uninstall command (to do that, BL3 would need
to keep a database of all files installed/modified by pkg).
To uninstall a package, you need to go through the package
file-by-file and delete each file yourself. A good way to
see what files are in a package is to press d, navigate to
the package .tgz and press ENTER (or right-arrow). That
will give you a list of all files in the package.

> I have a problem with man. I downloaded the man pages
> package from slackware4.0, but the man function does
> not read it.

The man command in BL3 is a pseudo-man. It works fine with
the built-in BL3 manpages and the manpages in BL3 packages,
but it can not read standard manpages.

Standard manpages are written in groff format. To be legible,
they need to be translated. This is normally done by groff
(which is called as part of the standard man command). Groff
is quite large.

BL3 manpages are pre-translated (by me). They do not need
groff. This saves a lot of space.

If you want to read standard manpages, you need to install
the groff package (ap1) and the man package (a9). You
might also need to install one more package (if groff is
missing a dependency).

BL3 is designed for old PCs with limited HD space. For that
reason I have left out inessentials (like groff and uninstall).

> I would like to compile programs from the source code. What
> precise packages do I need to this?

------------
binutils.tgz
egcs.tgz
gmake.tgz
libc.tgz
linuxinc.tgz
------------
Those will give you the standard compiler. However, some source-
code requires additional capabilites (like GTK or curses or perl).
In that case, you will need to install additional packages.
Please note: BL3 does not do threading -- any source-code using
threading will fail.

BL3 works fine for compiling straight-forward source-code; but
fancy, up-to-date source-code (especially GUI stuff) is unlikely
to compile easily.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru