baslinux - [BL] Xvesa with himem.sys, smartdrv, MS-DOS 6.22 and Win98 DOS

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Xvesa with himem.sys, smartdrv, MS-DOS 6.22 and Win98 DOS
  • Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 23:02:30 +0000 (UTC)

Many thanks to whoever it was that reported his problems with Xvesa not working with MS DOS 6.22 were due to his having loaded himem.sys and smartdrv.exe.

I did not know about the smartdrv, since I don't run DOS without himem.sys (my DOS programs need it) so I bypass system files on DOS computers.

Apparently Win98 himem.sys does not cause problems. I was wondering why one of my three Win98 computers would not work with Xvesa. I just realized it has smartdrv. Loading smartdrv on the other Win98 computer just stopped Xvesa from working. I can manage without it on the DOS computer (which also has Win98 until I get Realplayer to work there).

Win98SE DOS -only smartdrv causes problems

DR-DOS -neither causes problems but it formats drives and labels them wrong (hda2 = E, hda3 = D).

FreeDOS - can someone report whether himem.sys or smartdrv.exe cause Xvesa problems (black screen crash).

I think MS-DOS 5.0 and 3.3 himem.sys worked with Xvesa but am not sure. No idea about smartdrv.