baslinux - [BL] Abiword internationalization

  • From: cce.zizkov AT volny.cz
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Abiword internationalization
  • Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2004 07:14:47

Hi Steven,

I downloaded BL-3.31 and tested the new add-ons. Abiword runs
perfectly with its own fonts. Almost incredible in the minimalist
BL 3 environment! So it will be possible to edit and convert most
.doc and .rtf files on a very small Linux system - this comes very
close to 'real work'. Thanks to XVesa, the Czech keyboard seems to
work correctly, too.

You already know, what I am going to complain about: The
missing fonts. Have you any idea where ISO-8859-2 or Cyrillic fonts
for Abiword can be found? On the Abiword website I saw
dictionaries for many languages, but I could not figure out,
how to get the necessary fonts.

Even those who do not need East European languages, may want
to replace existing fonts, because they are not only ugly, but
even hard to read. I understand that there is no more space in the
add-on packet, but users would certainly appreciate some
instructions or links to alternative fonts.

Christof

Ceskobratrska cirkev evangelicka - Betlemska kaple na Zizkove
Prokopova 4/216, 130 00 Praha 3, Czech Republic
Tel. (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02 / 603 18 87 53
http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov