baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 applications

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 applications
  • Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 15:20:34 +0000 (UTC)

You also have a GUI image viewer (xli) and Chris's sound package.

I compiled Kermit to work with BL1/BL3. (Their posted version had some problem with floating point and it required ncurses). James said he would post it. It does Kermit dialing, Kermit file transfer, and ftp and a telnet that works when others fail and lets you do file transfer over the telnet connection (handy for use at sdf if you have not paid them for the use of ftp). Ftpput failed us when the login started with a '.'. It is about 2MB (1/3 that compressed for download).

Steven, could you compile the latest gs (8.30 or later) for BL3 or maybe statically for BL3/BL2? The previous versions no longer handle current Adobe pdf format (1.5). It might be enough to compile it for X (tho I would love to also have vgalib as in SW71 but not in 8.1) and the most common printers (epson, deskjet, any others?). Perhaps you could make a smaller version with only one font, if you know how to get it working that way, and minimal documentation and other supporting files. Does BL3 have the required dependencies already? If not, you could compile them in if other programs listed below don't also need them.

Ghostview or some other gs frontend might also be handy. I have discovered that xpdf provides better quality than bmv (but it did not work in real time until I put in 128MB RAM). Bmv for some reason would not display with my Tseng card except in plain VGA (but perhaps I forgot to set the config file to Xvesa?). The latest xpdf is available precompiled for glibc6 (I don't recall if it requires glibc 2.2.5 upgrade) but not glibc5.

A WORD convertor for BL3, unless what you compiled works for both BL2 and BL3. I can try to compile Antiword 0.35 (or maybe there is a later version by now). Chris mentioned catdoc and Excel format convertors - Chris, did you compile catdoc for BL3? This is for those of us who don't really want 11MB of wordprocessor just to read the occasional WORD document. Abiword supposedly incorporates the convertor wvware, which has worked for me (in DOS) where others failed. I would appreciate a stand-alone version but cannot even figure out what to download for compiling it.

Does Sylpheed automatically encode/decode binary attachments? Mutt let me do that (at least I recall sending them).