baslinux - Re: Twin: was [BL] BL3 applications

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Twin: was [BL] BL3 applications
  • Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 14:26:19 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> I am mainly looking for applications that are completely
> missing in BL3. What about naim? Or is that gaim?
> Do you have a version that runs on BL3?

Naim is the small, console messaging client I was raving about: gaim is
the much larger, more capable gtk client. There used to be Slack packages
for Naim available at the download site, but I don't see them there any
more. But these wouldn't work with libc5 anyway. I tried at one point to
compile naim on a BL1 system, but it failed. The author was a bit
surprised at this, since his initial development of the prog was on Slack
3.5. However he couldn't really help me find out what the problem was
without access to a libc5 system (I could have given him a telnet session
by forwarding port 23 from my firewall to it so he could have fiddled with
it remotely, but I so poorly understood firewalling then I had no idea how
to do it). Unless someone else can succeed in compiling naim on a libc5
system - or maybe find a real old binary of naim - about the only recourse
would be to compile it statically on a BL2 system. But it's true this
would definitely make an enhancement to BL3.

Downloaded Slack 4.0 last night, so maybe I really will get around to
installing it now. The fact that there is no iso doesn't help matters . .
. (makes it more complicated to install). How did we ever exist before
bootable CD's? :)

James