baslinux - Re: Twin: was [BL] BL3 applications

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Twin: was [BL] BL3 applications
  • Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 16:50:40 +0000 (UTC)

How large is this program? I tried something much simpler called splitvt which is 1995 and came in one of the SW7.1 packages precompiled. You can set up 2 or more screens split horizontally (maybe also vertically) and copy between them, on a single virtual console, via keyboard.

At 80x25 I would not want to be running many 'windows' at one time but my graphics cards mostly support 132 columns by 50 or so rows. Tseng, Trident and S3 do for sure.

This has no mouse support and no dragging and I suspect you can't resize a window after it is open, but it is quite small and probably already available. Keyboard command (two-stroke) to switch between windows.

I reported on it a few months ago and a search through the archives should find it.

I would also be very interested to try out Twin if you compile it, but is libc.so.6 the BL2 library not BL3?

As a sort of frill, I'd like to add a bit about a program I've mentioned
in the past as perhaps being suitable for BL and which I've been using
lately. Unfortunately, owing to certain constraints, I am not using it on
a BL system. But I want to report on it nonetheless, since BL seems like
the right "market" for it. The program is called "Twin." It is a console
program that allows creation of virtual terminals within a single console.
It's billed as a sort of xwindows for the console. So, instead of having
numerous tty's open and switching between them with ctrl-alt-Fx keys, all
terminals and their console programs can be open in a single console.
Right now, for example, I have Pine, elinks, two instances of mc (1 root,
1 user), lynx and a couple of terminals open in Twin. A slight
How many rows and columns are you using for 7 windows?

modification to the config file has allowed me to map the alt-tab sequence
to cycle between terminals. So I can sit here and alt-tab - very quickly
- between all my open console programs. Terminals can be resized and
dragged around the screen as well: gpm needs to be installed and
configured if one wants mouse functionality, I should mention. With gpm,
one can copy and paste text between terminals as well (maybe there's a way
to do this without a mouse as well - haven't looked into that). I'm very
happy with Twin and its performance. Perhaps other BL users would want to
look into it? So far as I know, it comes only as source and so would need
to be compiled for BL. It's very light on dependencies. "ldd twin" gives
the following output:

libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/libc.so.6 (0x40020000)

Don't know if those exclude it as a BL candidate or not. At the risk of
making further vain promises or idle threats, if I get some time, I may
try compiling it for BL. If I don't, and if others look at it and find it
interesting as well, perhaps they'd like to try compiling it? The link
for the mainpage, with some screenshots, is here:
http://linuz.sns.it/~max/twin/

James