baslinux - Twin: was [BL] BL3 applications

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Twin: was [BL] BL3 applications
  • Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 11:11:55 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> To summarize, BL3 now has:
> --------------------------
> wordprocessor (AbiWord)
> spreadsheet (sc)
> database (SQLite)
> presentation (MagicPoint)
> GUI browser (links2)
> GUI mail client (sylpheed)
> file manager (mc)
> secure shell (ssh)
> --------------------------
>
> Are we missing any important applications?

This is really great, Steven. Even though I've got little to no time for
BL stuff these days, I read anxiously about development and admire what
you're doing. Your list looks to me like it includes all the basic
necessities for computer users of today.

As a sort of frill, I'd like to add a bit about a program I've mentioned
in the past as perhaps being suitable for BL and which I've been using
lately. Unfortunately, owing to certain constraints, I am not using it on
a BL system. But I want to report on it nonetheless, since BL seems like
the right "market" for it. The program is called "Twin." It is a console
program that allows creation of virtual terminals within a single console.
It's billed as a sort of xwindows for the console. So, instead of having
numerous tty's open and switching between them with ctrl-alt-Fx keys, all
terminals and their console programs can be open in a single console.
Right now, for example, I have Pine, elinks, two instances of mc (1 root,
1 user), lynx and a couple of terminals open in Twin. A slight
modification to the config file has allowed me to map the alt-tab sequence
to cycle between terminals. So I can sit here and alt-tab - very quickly
- between all my open console programs. Terminals can be resized and
dragged around the screen as well: gpm needs to be installed and
configured if one wants mouse functionality, I should mention. With gpm,
one can copy and paste text between terminals as well (maybe there's a way
to do this without a mouse as well - haven't looked into that). I'm very
happy with Twin and its performance. Perhaps other BL users would want to
look into it? So far as I know, it comes only as source and so would need
to be compiled for BL. It's very light on dependencies. "ldd twin" gives
the following output:

libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/libc.so.6 (0x40020000)

Don't know if those exclude it as a BL candidate or not. At the risk of
making further vain promises or idle threats, if I get some time, I may
try compiling it for BL. If I don't, and if others look at it and find it
interesting as well, perhaps they'd like to try compiling it? The link
for the mainpage, with some screenshots, is here:
http://linuz.sns.it/~max/twin/

James