baslinux - [BL] eznet with misbehaving modem

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] eznet with misbehaving modem
  • Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 14:59:06 +0000 (UTC)

We have a 33K modem which will not dial unless you first give it a separate ATH1 command to go offhook. I added this at the end of eznet.conf (something like 0 init1 ath1) and now it automatically goes offhook and dials. I was able to do something similar in the kermit dialing script (add a couple of extra lines - output ath1 followed by pause - apparently the pause is what is causing the original problem with this modem).

But it also won't hang up as usual - Kermit ha (hangup) does not work and I have to issue an ATH0. How would I automate the hangup in kermit (in the script?) and with ppp-off, or is this not possible and do I have to do something like cat ath0 > ttyS1?

I should probably ask Kermit support about kermit.

We have three other 33K modems with their own problems. Two of them need
to get an ATH0 signal BEFORE they will dial (onhook) in DOS, but they work find in Windows. This is inconvenient if you have more than one person using the phone line and set it up to do ATH0 in autoexec.bat because it disconnects anyone on the phone. Cirrus. I ought to put this in the Kermit dialing script for DOS and linux and in eznet.conf for linux. At least this one hangs up properly.

The fourth one is not yet diagnosed but it dials in one computer and not another. Any ideas?

  • [BL] eznet with misbehaving modem, sindi keesan, 10/04/2004