baslinux - Re: [BL] Dealing with Excel

  • From: cce.zizkov AT volny.cz
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Dealing with Excel
  • Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2004 08:40:23

On 1 Oct 04 at 16:27, keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org wrote:

>I have only used catdoc for DOS. Christof, have you compiled catdoc
>and/or the xls convertors (both directions, to and from html) for BL2 or
>BL3? Or are they available already compiled?
>
>Since catdoc and the xls convertors are CLI, to read the Czech while
>typing the English I can just load an E. European font. The lower ASCII
>characters (used to type English) are the same in the two fonts. This will
>let me view original and what I am typing at the same time.

One of the few programs I was able to compile (in Linux, not in DOS).
I see, when I finally put together the my mutt package, catdoc and
xcl2htm should be included.

>The way I did it, I put the Czech on one screen and typed on the other, but
>it had to be two computers because links2 graphical cannot be used at the
>same time as a text console, tho I can view two text consoles at the same
>time (MDA/TTL and VGA). I tried using lynx with the correct font loaded to
>display the Czech, but it does not do tables. I should have loaded a Czech
>VGA font and used links non-graphical on the VGA screen and typed my
>translation on the TTL screen but I was lazy. (This could also be done in a
>text console with splitvt, which makes it easy to copy between half-screens,
>or in X with windows.)

Actually non graphic links is the best language transcription tool I
have ever seen. You can read German with ASCII font and see umlauts
as a:, o: and u:, you can read Czech web pages with ASCII 7bit and
have the diacritical symbols not above the letters, but following
them. And even a Russian web page appears in readable English
transcription. It is a pity that you cannot pipe the output of links
(lynx -dump option).

>Can cvs format be imported into not only the BL spreadsheet (sc?) but also
>Excel?

Yes

>Or is there a cvs2xls as well?

Is there any txt2doc? cvs corresponds to unformatted text, xcl is
formatted. But you can try to produce other higher formats. In DOS I
use Quatro Pro, and I think files from that program can be imported to
Excel.

Christof

Ceskobratrska cirkev evangelicka - Betlemska kaple na Zizkove
Prokopova 4/216, 130 00 Praha 3, Czech Republic
Tel. (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02 / 603 18 87 53
http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov